+1 (502) 904-2126   One Westbrook Corporate Center, Suite 300, Westchester, IL 60154, USA   Site Map
ISSN: 2574 -1241

Impact Factor : 0.548

  Submit Manuscript

Research ArticleOpen Access

Impact of Rice Pudding on Preschool-Aged Children’s Health: an Overview of a Pilot Study

Volume 6 - Issue 3

Jib Acharya*1,Edwin van Teijlingen1, Basma Ellahi2,Bishnu Pariyar3,David Alexander4 and Mohan Dangal4

  • Author Information Open or Close
    • 1 Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Bournemouth University, England
    • 2Faculty of Health and Social Care, University of Chester, England
    • 3School of Geography, University of Leeds, England
    • 4Child Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal

    *Corresponding author: Jib Acharya, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Bournemouth University, Dorset, England, P.O. Box No.: 21829 GPO Kathmandu, Nepal

Received: June 18, 2018;   Published: July 05, 2018

DOI: 10.26717/BJSTR.2018.06.001346

Full Text PDF

To view the Full Article   Peer-reviewed Article PDF


Background: Preschool-aged children of disadvantaged households in Nepal have a higher prevalence rate of under nutrition. A major contributing reason is the inadequate maternal knowledge, existing taboos and unscientific food recommendation practices.

AimThis pilot study evaluates the impact of the rice pudding feeding programme on child health and calculates the costs of the preparation.

Materials and Methods: A before-and-after study of children aged under-five attending a day-care centre in remote Nepal. Children’s weight, height and MUAC (Mid-Upper Arm Circumference) were compared before and after the rice pudding programme which lasted 54 days.

Results: 42 children (boys 43% & girls 57%), of whom 90% had gained weight whilst the weight of the remaining 10% of children stayed constant. Similarly, 78% had increased MUAC while 12% of 2 children improved slightly. The study was inexpensive, US$ 0.34 per day per child and likely to be cost-effective.

Conclusion: A regular healthy diet of rice pudding helps children’s nutritional need. It is important to consider right dietary practice, including portion sizes, and community awareness about healthy diet and impact of child health as well as sustainability.

Key messages

a) Significantly improved child’s weight and MUAC.

b) Partnership programme leads to cost-effectiveness and sustainability of the programme.

c) This programme could be replicated in the similar areas in Nepal.

Keywords: Rice Pudding; Healthy Diet; Knowledge; Beliefs; Attitudes; Poverty; School Meal and Malnutrition; Child Health; Well-Nourished Children; Preservatives; Artificial Flavouring; Synthetic Chemicals; Mobilization; Innovation; Portable Stadiometer

Abstract| Introduction| Study Rationale| Materials and Methods| Rice pudding preparation and portion size| Training and consent| Results| Discussion| Cost of the Intervention| Study Strengths and Limitations| Conclusions| Acknowledgement| Financial Report| References|